Flipgrid is a controlled online video sharing portal. Teachers create topic "grids" to enable video discussions. Each grid is like a message board where teachers pose questions or introduce learning (e.g. Yr5 Science grid), which is arranged into different "topics" (e.g. Astronomy). Pupils can then record and upload short video responses (questions, aspects of their own learning, fun facts) that the teacher and the other learners in the class can view. It's a little bit like a teacher-led virtual classroom discussion. And just like a real classroom, there are some ground rules about what and when children can post. Access to each Grid is restricted to those children in each class/year group, meaning that uploaded videos are not publicly accessible. At Southmead, we also ensure that all grids are pre-moderated by teaching staff, who block any inappropriate content.
Each pupil will be provided with a flip code and user ID.
To login in to Flipgrid:
- click on the link, or paste it into your browser: https://info.flipgrid.com/ (There is also a mobile app. It’s free and easy to download from both the Android Play Store and the Apple App Store.)
- Enter your school Flip Code and school user ID.
- When you have installed/logged in, scroll down to the flipgrid icon.
- Clicking on the icon with a camera-enabled device (laptop, tablet, chromebook, phone, etc) will allow you to record a short video for the site; just follow the simple instructions on screen.
- After you have successfully recorded and uploaded your video, you won’t be able to see it immediately. This is because the site is fully moderated, so you’ll need to be patient, while one of our staff get to it, view it and approve it (give us 48 hours, please!).
- Then you and everyone else will be able to see and enjoy it!